Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is a DISCUSSION forum
Hello everyone,

I want to emphasize for everyone.That this is a forum that tries to run on the DISCUSSION format.Rather than a Debate format.

The reason for my emphasis on this,is that there are many other places to DEBATE the topics.Where a lot of posted screaming and talking past one another exchanges is common.To try winning or destroying the other persons arguments.The namecalling and ad homonyms gets spread around.

It is a problem for me because there is so little effort to promote a true even handed communication environment.That will be free of the common Debate sideshows and the mocking behavior that inevitably comes.

HERE,

I want to see it to be in a DISCUSSION based climate where people with different viewpoints can be considered in a reasonably calm manner.That then allows tempers to be kept in check and make the conversation last a lot longer.

I know a little debate will creep in.That is inevitable in extended conversations on something.But we have to realize that total agreement is rare and maybe not even be desirable.

There will be the inevitable disagreements.But we learn why we have these variable positions.And to see how viable our personal positions really are in relation to physical reality.

There is no way there will be 100% agreement on anything.Why not settle for 99% or even 90% agreement level?

So please relax a little and try to be fair to each other when talking about something.
It is our attitude toward free thought and free expression that will determine our fate. There must be no limit on the range of temperate discussion, no limits on thought. No subject must be taboo. No censor must preside at our assemblies.

–William O. Douglas, U.S. Supreme Court Justice, 1952