Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Case against the "hockey stick"
The Case Against the Hockey Stick

doesn't tell some of us anything new.

It is encouraging, however, that the book, Andrew Montford’s "The Hockey Stick Illusion", may get a wider audience.

Matt Ridley's review is worth a read, too.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

I know, this is an old thread, but it does mention the Mann's "hockey stick" and regarding it, I have a question:

Wasn't Mann's original graph of the Northern Hemisphere only and didn't the IPCC use it to represent a global temperature?

If so, did Mann protest that misrepresentation of his work?

Just wondering.

(10-02-2011, 07:21 PM)JohnWho Wrote: I know, this is an old thread, but it does mention the Mann's "hockey stick" and regarding it, I have a question:

Wasn't Mann's original graph of the Northern Hemisphere only and didn't the IPCC use it to represent a global temperature?

If so, did Mann protest that misrepresentation of his work?

Just wondering.

Yes it was labeled NORTHERN Hemisphere at the top of the chart.

[Image: Hockey_stick_chart_ipcc_large.jpg]

LINK

The IPCC did indeed call it a supporter of Global warming.

It was a lie 10 years ago and it is a lie now.
It is our attitude toward free thought and free expression that will determine our fate. There must be no limit on the range of temperate discussion, no limits on thought. No subject must be taboo. No censor must preside at our assemblies.

–William O. Douglas, U.S. Supreme Court Justice, 1952
Wikipedia still shows it with the words NORTHERN HEMISPHERE on the chart.

LINK

John Daly comments on it at his website in year 2000:

The `Hockey Stick':
A New Low in Climate Science

Selected Excerpt:

In Mann's original formulation, the `Hockey Stick' only applied to the Northern Hemisphere. However, the U.S. National Assessment treated it as if it were a global history by reproducing Mann's original graph with a new title implying it has global rather than hemispheric application [19]. This revised version of Mann's graph is shown in Fig.5.

[Image: hockey.gif]

Apart from the subtle `globalisation' of the graph in the title, this version omits the wide error margins that were included with the original Mann graph (Fig.3), shown in yellow. These error margins were the only indication by Mann that his formulation could be wrong, conceding in his paper that the pre-1400 data was uncertain. The idea that global temperature 1,000 years ago could be calculated to an accuracy of 0.1°F based on a limited number of tree rings is simply not credible by any reasonable standard.
It is our attitude toward free thought and free expression that will determine our fate. There must be no limit on the range of temperate discussion, no limits on thought. No subject must be taboo. No censor must preside at our assemblies.

–William O. Douglas, U.S. Supreme Court Justice, 1952
Thanks for clearing that up.

I didn't expect that Mann would care if his conclusions were distorted, just a little, as long as it was in the "right" way.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Hockey Stick Collapses (2017) Sunsettommy 2 705 01-29-2017, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Sunsettommy
  Climate Change in 12 Minutes - The Skeptic's Case Sunsettommy 0 1,106 05-20-2016, 09:11 AM
  History Of How The Hockey Stick Was Manufactured Sunsettommy 0 2,424 07-25-2012, 02:30 PM
  The Case of Irish Oaks Tree Rings Questioning_Climate 3 8,055 11-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Last Post: Questioning_Climate